How can you help?
- Visit the UCAS website (www.ucas.com) to find out more about UCAS applications. The website has a range of videos to help parents understand the process.
- Be aware of important dates, such as the deadline for applications, and when your son or daughter needs to reply to universities.
- Register for the UCAS monthly newsletter (www.ucas.com/parentform).
- Talk regularly with your son or daughter to encourage them to think through their options carefully. Which subject? Which university? Do they want to stay at home or move away? Do they want a course that offers a work placement year or opportunities to study abroad?
- If you live locally, take your son or daughter to university open days and interviews.
- Plan to be at home on results day, in case they need to contact universities on the day.
- If you are applying for student finance, start your application in the spring term of their final year to make sure the funds are available when they start their course www.gov.uk/studentfinancesteps.
- Help your son or daughter look for scholarships. These are advertised on university websites, www.scholarship-search.org.uk or www.thescholarshiphub.org.uk.